By Catherine Gao
If we gave each makeup tool a human personality, eyeliner would be the dull and unexciting one. It’s totally unlike all its other colourful and dazzling counterparts (pointing at you, eyeshadow and lipstick) that can be easily experiment with to create fresh new looks. Before you get bored with the line you repeatedly draw everyday, you should try these five alternatives that will definitely up the ante.
Combining shadow and liner in one, coloured eyeliner are the current favourite of backstage makeup artists, and a beauty theme of numerous fashion shows. This look is perfect for all the seasons! Bright and warm colours will look amazing for spring/summer while you can complement the wintry vibes with cold and earthy tones. For everyday wear, we suggest wearing electric blue, burgundy, purple or gold.
1. Line your eyes with a black eyeliner
2. Using a coloured liner, line along the edge of the black liner you just created. Avoid making the line too thick, as you are aiming for a subtle pop of colour.
3. The coloured line should be the point of focus, so keep your lip colour, blush and eyeshadow as toned down as possible.
We’re loving: Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes
THE SMUDGED EFFECT
Here at Her Fashion Box, we’re going to teach you how to love our number one beauty enemy: the smudged eyes. It’s that look that makes people think you woke up like this – super effortless and attractive. A pencil liner that has a sponge applicator works best for this look. Check out: Bobbi Brown Smokey Eye Kajal Liner
1. Following the natural shape of your eyes, imperfectly line the top and bottom. Yes! It’s the only time when precision doesn’t matter.
2. Smudge and diffuse the line using the sponge applicator.
3. Suitable for ALL DAY wear, simply switch up the lip colours: nude for the day and a bold red for those #TGIF night outs.
THE DOUBLE LINE
The double eyeliner is literally the makeup-version of surgery, the saviour for those who have narrow eye shapes and want to make them appear wide and open. Control and precision is key for this look, so pick a liquid eyeliner that has a slim tip like Maybelline Master Precise Ink Pen Eyeliner.
1. Fill in the gaps in your upper lash line
2. Using a liquid liner, line and extend approximately 5mm from your eyes.
3. Repeat the above step to your lower lash line. Avoid connecting the two lines together.
4. Apply a lash lifting mascara to further open up your eyes!
THE ‘NO EYELINER’ EYELINER
A skilfully done tight-line is the secret to looking au naturel. The eyeliner look for the modest chic out there who are only aiming to enhance their natural facial features. Since you will be lining close to your waterline, it’s important to choose a waterproof eyeliner to ensure long-lasting wear. We’re loving: Benefit BADgal Waterproof Eyeliner
1. Gently lift up your upper eyelid
2. Start with lining your water line and gradually build it up.
3. Avoid any harsh edges, keep it soft and subtle.
THE FELINE GAZE
Last but not least, we cannot forget the winged cat eye, the most classic of all and the iconic look of celebrities like Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe and Taylor Swift. An intense black liquid liner with a precise tip works best for achieving the wing. We recommend: Make Up Forever Ink Liner.
1. Using a pencil liner first, gently outline the shape of your cat eye. Line from the inner corners, and when you get to the outer corners, extend the line up on a 45 degree angle.
2. Go over and fill in the cat eye you just created with the liquid eyeliner. Keep the edges sharp and precise!
With these tips and variations, you now have options so there’s no need to stick to the same ol’ eyeliner look everyday.
Which one is your favourite out of the five? Tell us in the comments below x